Friday, May 3, 2013

6 Days till departure!!!

As I am packing and trying to organize I have started to overflow out of my room and into a sitting room (my mother is thrilled). But, with all this "organization" I am starting to get concerned that a years worth of stuff is not going to fit into a backpacking pack, a suitcase, and a carry-on. Coming from a family that that is famous for over packing this should be interesting! I will fight to make it all fit whether I have to have my dad sit on the suitcase to close it or not. With only 6 days left I have been saying a lot of goodbyes. I consider myself extremely lucky because my mother and I went and moved my sister Zipporah out of her dorm yesterday so now she is home for the summer! Just in time. My other sister Tallulah is coming home today till Monday to spend as much time as possible and the other sister Isabelle is still in high school so she will be here too. I am so so so happy to have everyone together before I depart. I even have some great friends that have decided to come home for the weekend to be with me and try to help me get organized before I go. I am so thankful to have such wonderful people and caring people in my life. With the sadness of saying goodbye I am also getting super pumped for going!! I don't think there is anything more exciting than learning about new cultures and make a new place a home. I truly believe everything happens for a reason and that going to Guatemala is going to be great for me. I have been talking more and more with my supervisor before I go and my responsibilities seem to be expanding which I think is great. I want to be busy, I want to experience it all, and I want to be useful. I hope I will make you all proud. I was searching on Hulu the other evening for something funny to watch and instead I came across a short documentary on poverty, only 56 minutes long. I watched only about 30 seconds of the film and immediately recognized rural Guatemala. The documentary is about the economics of poverty and the strategies families have to survive. Four boys take on the life style of poverty to get a sense of what its like and how you survive. I have posted the link to the video in the comment section below this post. You only need to watch about 5 minutes to get the idea, but if you watch the whole thing you can really get a good idea of why the work Highland Support Project does is so important. Pictures to be posted soon of the mess I've made in trying to pack!!!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.hulu.com/watch/481061#i0,p0,d0

    This is the link I was talking about. For some reason it would not post in the blog.

    ReplyDelete